WELCOME

The term Hillbilly used here is designed
as a generic term to describe Country & Western Music of the nineteen
forties and fifties. Feel free to use any of the information contained herein for what ever
purpose you deem appropriate; however, please acknowledge The Hillbilly
Researcher, and any individual who contributed information used to compile
these listings.
If you wish to reproduce any
photograph that is contained in the Blogg, please check first with the
individual who supplied the original. This does not apply to label scans which
you are most welcome to copy and use.

Feedback is most welcome, as are any
additions or corrections to the published listings. Check back on earlier
listings as they are updated when new information is received. Also click on
the Comments button, some great feedback coming through, Thanks to everyone who
has taken the time to contribute, especially Johan for the BILLBOARD data.


Search This Blog

Friday 30 July 2010

HOOSIER RECORDS


Lowery Enterprises.
Indianapolis. Indiana


HOOSIER No#
COUSIN CHICKIE HOPKINS
No Questions Asked (E0-CB-4308)
(Schalk) (No Publisher Noted)
You Tell Her, I Stutter (E0-CB-4309)
(Billy Rose – Cliff Friend) (No Publisher Noted)

Note: RCA custom pressing - 1950. This may actually be a CAPITOL custom pressing, and therefore date from 1955.

Hear “No Questions Asked”

Hear “You Tell Her, I Stutter”


HOOSIER No #
COUNTRY COUSIN CHICKIE HOPKINS
Bless Your Little Thumpin' Gizzard
If It Ain't One Thing It's Another

HOOSIER 201
BILLY DYAR
Driftwood On the River (201.A) (E0-CX-784)
(John Klenner - Bob Miller) (No Publisher Noted)

You'll Still Be In My Heart (201) (E0-CX-783)
(Buddy Starcher - Ted West) (No Publisher Noted)


HOOSIER 301
EMMY LOU
Rocky Road Blues
Little Old Rosebush

HOOSIER 501
BILLY DYAR & EMMY LOU
Chapel In The Hills (501.A) (E0-CX-776)
(Carl Davis - Harty Taylor) (No Publisher Noted)
He Will Set Your Fields On Fire (501) (E0-CX-775)
(H. M. Ballew - L. L. Bracket) (No Publisher Noted)

HOOSIER 601
JIM SHELTON
Dash Away
The Night Before Christmas

HOOSIER 701
HONEY DUNN
Humpty Dumpty Heart
Pigtails On Parade


Additional information from Mac McDivitt (also click on comment button for more inforamtion).

6 comments:

  1. This label was started in 1950 by Gene Lowery, manager of the Dixie Four Quartet who was appearing on WIBC in Indianapolis. Previously he had operated the Gospel label, another Indiana label.

    Raymond Hopkins who used the name "Country Cousin Chickie" had been appearing on WIBC both before and after the Second World War. He was a singer, comedian, emcee, and DJ.

    Other records on this label that I am aware of include:

    No #
    COUNTRY COUSIN CHICKIE HOPKINS
    Bless Your Little Thumpin' Gizzard
    If It Ain't One Thing It's Another

    201
    BILLY DYAR
    Driftwood On the River
    You'll Still Be In My Heart

    301
    EMMY LOU
    Rocky Road Blues
    Little Old Rosebush

    601
    JIM SHELTON
    Dash Away
    The Night Before Christmas

    701
    HONEY DUNN
    Humpty Dumpty Heart
    Pigtails On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two Country Cousin Chickie Hopkins true stories.The time was the late 1940’s.

    Chickie had a daily mid-day program on WIBC AM, 1070 on the dial. He would always begin his program by singing:

    Peepin’ through the knothole in Grandpa’s wooden leg,
    Who will wind the clock when I am gone?
    Go, get the axe, there’s a fly on baby’s head,
    And a boy’s best friend is his mother.

    Chickie was also host of a hillbilly music program, just before noon, on Saturdays. The show originated from the Sears Farm Store, in downtown Indianapolis and was aired on WIBC. I listened regularly to that program.

    One Saturday morning, Chickie informed his audience that Roy Rogers and Dale Evans would be there the next Saturday, and everyone was welcome to come to the Sears Farm Store to watch them entertain.

    I asked my father if he would take me. He agreed.The next Saturday morning, Dad and I boarded the electric trackless trolley that passed in front of our Indianapolis home. We had no vehicle and tokens to ride the trolley were four for a quarter.

    We arrived in downtown Indianapolis and walked one block to the Farm Store.
    As we stood in the crowded parking lot, I watched and listened as Roy and Dale entertained. At the close of the program, Chickie told the crowd that if anyone would like to shake hands withvRoy and Dale they would be available inside and that we should line up at the entrance to the store.
    I asked my dad if I could go shake their hands. He said that I could and he waited in the parking lot until I could do so. Roy and Dale shook my hand and the hand of EVERYONE in that line.

    They had also brought Trigger and Trigger, Jr., a colt.

    What fine people!

    I am now 73 years of age. These are my memories. Accurate, as far as I know.
    Paul Fletcher
    Indianapolis, Indiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie Mills, Pueblo Co.16 December 2013 at 02:42

      Do you remember his song, When lightning struck the coon creek partyline?

      Delete
    2. Charlie Mills, Pueblo Co.16 December 2013 at 02:45

      If I remember correctly, Jack Marrow was the MC of WIBC in those years.

      Delete
  3. Grew up north of Indianapolis during 40's & 50's listening primarily to WIBC. Jack Morrow used to have the late morning DJ slot, as I recall, with a show called 'Crossroads Party', followed by a noontime break for Harry Martin and the farm news and Jim Shelton's Pick-a-Pocket show. I also recall Easy Guinn 'Easy Does It' show in the early afternoon.

    I'm completely new to blogs so may not be doing this right, but I have a question I hope someone who watches this blog can answer: What was the "Crossroads Party" theme song? I clearly remember Chickie Hopkins usually having a (probably) 15 minute segment of the show, and his theme song was "Go Get the Axe". (I'd love to get a .wma of that)!

    However, I don't remember the "Crossroads Party" theme. I 'THINK' it had lyrics in it similar to:

    "(something something something) in style
    You're in love with a purty little gal, and you win her by a mile
    Way down in the country there's a big ol' yeller moon
    And an old sweetheart a-waitin', I'm a-going to see her soon"

    Does this ring any bells? Am I right that it was the "Crossroads Party" theme? Can someone point me to the name or lyrics to this song or, better yet, .wma files of it and "Go Get the Axe".

    I appreciate any help anyone can give me on this. Max Benson, formerly of Noblesville, IN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Cousin Chickie singing the news,, Howdy everybody,here comes the news with just a little music to chase away the blues,,,every wor is true, every line says I , Ill bet you 50 cents that you can't catch me in a lie,,,,,doodle doodle -----,,Paul Coop ex Johnson Co. Resident,,, Now texas and Chihuaua Mexico,,,,,

    ReplyDelete